Last year, I joined Wendy's Knit From Your Stash 2007 endeavor. I think I did well, mostly thanks to the exceptions to the no-buying-yarn rule (phew!). For example, you were allowed to buy yarn if the project was a gift, and you were allowed to purchase unlimited amounts of sock yarn. Also, Knit From Your Stash only lasted from January until September 30th, 2007. Just in time for Rhinebeck! I used my Get Out of Jail Free card to purchase 20 balls of lovely olive colored Rowan's All Seasons Cotton from Yai Ann, and then completely broke down at Habu and made unallowed purchases, but, give me break, that was on August 21st!
Here is a tally of what I knit in 2007 and a look at where the yarn came from:
- 6 baby items:
-3 baby sweaters: EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket *stash yarn*, EZ's February sweater *stash yarn* and EZ's Baby Bog (new yarn, allowed).
- 1 baby hat, *stash yarn*
- 2 lace shawls: (Shetland Triangle and the Blumengruss shawl) both with *stash yarn*
- 4 pairs of socks: Embossed Leaves socks with *stash yarn*, the other 3 (stockinette knee highs, Hederas and Socks for Veronik) with new yarn, but that's allowed!
- 2 cardigans: Agnes with a gift certificate I received from the Spiders for my birthday (allowed!) and VK's Ruffled Jacket made with new yarn purchased 10 days before the end of Knit From Your Stash...
- 1 scarf: new yarn, but was a gift (and my own design), so it was allowed.
- 4 sewn dresses: all new fabric, but there were no rules about buying fabric, so there!
I haven't really made any resolutions for 2008, and look what happened:
Project # 1: Charade socks for my boyfriend, using Yarntini's Chocolatini colorway (purchased from the Plucky Knitter)
Project #2: A scarf for me, using Fable HandKnits's delicious baby alpaca (left over from my Sensual Knits 2 project) and a random mohair/silk blend from the stash (purchased at Yarnivore way back when!). My own design, using the two color star stitch. Unblocked and looks like crap here...
Project #3: Marigold socks, by Pamela of FlintKnits, using Vesper Sock yarn in Strange Little Mama (purchased for me by Lisa, who selflessly hit the reload button on the Vesper Etsy site until this colorway came up). Since Pamela's lace pattern is worked over 7 rows and the Vesper stripes are 5 rows, I had to fudge a little.
I made a garter heel, inspired by Gleek. She used this heel quite some time ago (October 2006!), but I had it squirreled away in my mind and knew I would use it eventually. Especially since the heels of my other pair of Vesper socks wore right through. I think the garter heel will be sturdier.