Yesterday night, I realized I have many eat-your-veggies knitting projects. The Brioche capelet held my fascination (those cool increases!) until the rounds became large and increase-less: it went from dessert knitting to eat-your-veggies knitting. (One more inch and I'm done though...).
Enter an old boring project that had been tossed aside: the pumpkin gauntlets. They are so old that they're new again! So I finished the last couple of inches on a measly 47 st, finished the thumb and did the Kitchener bind-off *without the aid of any reference book*. (It was in the living room and my roommate had guests, and I didn't feel like rooting around my mess in front of an audience).
I hereby present: the right gauntlet conquering Manhattan! (The left gauntlet is still conquering Europe).
Project specs for the pumpkin Renaissance gauntlets:
- pattern: my own! 20 st of 1:1 ribbing, with twisted K st and 27 st for the cable panel (3 st rev st, 9 st cable #1, 3 st rev st, 9 st cable #2, 3 st rev st). The cable was lifted from Teva Durham's Renaissance tunic, IK Winter 2002. The gauntlets were knit top-down, so I had to make the thumb gusset upside down (ie start with all the thumb st and decrease until all the thumb st are gone).
- yarn: Debbie Bliss' Alpaca Silk DK in burnt orange (#4) purchased at The Point
- needles: US 4 wood needles, 2 of which broke; 2 cable needles: a metal one and a toothpick.
- wearability (1-10): 8 or 9. Although the yarn is super soft, the gauntlets are long enough to keep my wrists warm and they look a little like opera gloves, they are a little bit tight. I hope they will stretch upon wear, as Lisa suggested!