I've been tagged by Sassy Stitchess!
Instructions: remove the blog in the top spot from the following
list and bump everyone up one place. Then add your blog to the bottom slot.
step into my thimble
Then add three people to tag:
Brooklyn Tweed because I read his blog and yet know nothing about him.
'Tina because she missed my last tag.
Marie because I want to hear more about her opera singing.
That were you doing 9 years ago?
January '97: I had to look it up on my CV! I was in the middle of my second maitrise (somewhat similar to a Master's), this one in genetics, in my hometown of Strasbourg, France. I had broken up with an evil boyfriend of 4 years, and had just hooked up (New Year's eve!) with a new, soon-to-be boyfriend of 4 years. It seems there is a expiration date on my boyfriends. I was living in a crummy little studio, and I hated it. Also, most of my friends had turned out to be loyal to my ex, so I was pretty lonely that year. Anyway, this new boyfriend was american and convinced me to come to the States, which I did, that summer. So I got my driver's licence and moved into an apartment in Long Island with my new boyfriend. I was scared out of my wits, but really wanted to get out of my hometown! (Take heart, Joy!) My father predicted that I would be back within a year... Sorry dad!
What were you doing 6 years ago?
January 2000. Well, I had spent the 2000 New Year in the middle of nowhere in Bretagne, France. My parents rented a quaint cottage right by the ocean. I was a graduate student at SUNY Stony Brook, and all my classmates were preparing for their qualifying exam. At that point, I already knew that my lab was moving from Long Island to NYC, and I did not have to take this dreaded exam since I was transfering to a NYC university which did not impose a qualifying exam on its students... I was so excited to be leaving Long Island!! Of course, I had been to the city many times, but the idea of actually living made me giddy.
What were you doing one hour ago?
Looking up submission guidelines for Knitty. I dowloaded the pattern template, and started filling it in. Then I changed my mind about my design. It turns out I don't want a sweater, I want a cardigan! The problem with hand-knitted sweaters is that they are always too warm. The only things I knitted that I wear often are cardigans. The sweaters are on a shelf, and I pet them every once in a while, but I rarely wear them. (But I'm still making the Somewhat Cowl with 3/4 sleeves because I think it would be wearable).
Name 3 movies/tv program you can't turn off if you stumble across them on television:
- Any b&w movie on TCM (I have a crush on host Ben Mankiewicz)
- Law & Order spinoffs (CI and SVU)
- 80s movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Name 3 things you want to improve upon this year:
- Force myself to finish projects. (Hear that almost-finished-fair-isle-mitten?)
- Stop procrastinating. (Hear that, pile-of-laundry?)
- Stop interrupting people all the time
Name 3 things you can't live without:
- merino wool
Name 3 things you could...
- The construction on FDR drive, right below my window, which starts at 7:30 am every day, sometimes even on weekends and sometimes even at night.
- My dependence on contacts. I wish I could just open my eyes and see! (Or that I could get that fancy Lasik surgery).
- Root beer. It smells like the french antiseptic Synthol.
Name 3 things you really like about yourself.
- My step-mother once told me I was energetic. Funny, I see myself as such a procrastinator, and I could make you a list of things that I should have done this week but did not do. My point is, yes, I was surprised by her comment, but when I think about it, I am energetic. (I'm hoping she meant that in a good way --focused, gets things done-- and not in a bad way --hyper, scattered, loud--).
- I like my nails. I know it sounds silly, but I used to bite my nails something fierce. I would bite them off until I bled. (TMI? Sorry). When I turned 24, I decided to stop. And I did, and now I don't have bloody stumps.
- I am always on time, even though I don't wear a watch.