I'm so excited to be part of Secret Pal 7!!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Why yes, I am a yarn snob! I started out buying cheap-o acrylic yarn, like many others. I soon discovered the joys of merino wool, as well as silk and hand-dyed yarns... I haven't looked back since.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I crochet a little, mostly edgings of knitted projects. I bought a crochet kit from Habu in the fall, and all I did was the knitted neck part...
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have 2 small drawers. Now that I think of it, a hanging circular needles thing (what are those called?) would be useful.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I started really knitting in 2001. I am very much a process knitter and I'm curious about techniques. This has lead me to making scarves, lace shawls, socks, sweaters, gloves, fair isle, entrelac... Does that mean I'm advanced?
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Grapefruit, anis, licorice. Please, not lavender.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I don't have a sweet tooth, I have several sweet teeth... Licorice candy is a fave. Ooh! Or anything sour!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I try to sew. I like to cook. I have beads, but not the patience to make an entire necklace. Basically, knitting is the one craft that I'm good at, and other crafts don't appeal to me as much because I'm not so good at them...
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I was stuck in an orange phase for a while, and I'm now shifting to purples. Hmmm, purple. But I also like teal. And steel gray. Oh, and green! Green is my favorite color.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I live with a roommate, no pets.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all of the above, except maybe for ponchos. I know they've been reviled, but I have to confess that I kind of like ponchos. Kind of.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Merino! Any soft and with crisp definition.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Acrylic. Anything shaggy. Anything scratchy (Lopi...).
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Designing! I'm trying my hand at designing. I love knitting lacey things, and socks. I'm antsy right now, so I keep on changing the types of projects that I work on: I'll work on socks then become obsessed with fair isle mittens, which I will abandon for an entrelac stole etc...
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Usually, once I'm sick of working on a particular project, I'll be itching to start the next one. I'll research the pattern, find yarn online, talk it over with the Spiders, cast on... That's my favorite part of the project: the very beginning. So, really, it doesn't matter what the item is, it could be a sweater, or socks, or a shawl, or gloves, or...
17. What are you knitting right now?
I always have several projects going on at any given time. Right now, a second glove, a second fair isle mitten, a pair of rainbow socks, a Kureyon entrelac stole, and a baby sweater.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
YES! How could you be a knitter and not appreciate handmade gifts?!
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circs all the way. I hardly ever use straights.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Addis, except for lace, then I use bamboo.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
22. How did you learn to knit?
My grand-mother taught me. I re-taught myself using books and looking things up online.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Knitty's Hush-Hush, which I am making for my best friend. She bought the yarn, so I can't just shelf this project. I imagine miles and miles of stockinette...
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
? Is this an actual question?
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Summer. You know when you're a kid, and summer starts and you're free? It's warm, you're about to go away, and you're free! Now of course, I can't take entire summers off, but still, people want to go out more, are more relaxed and smile more. Bliss.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Other than yarn? Nope.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
IK and VK.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Socks That Rock!! I've seen so much of it but I haven't gotten my hands on any. I'm also coveting Lantern Moon needles, but it seems like such an extravagance.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
As I said, I'm a process knitter, so I've tried plenty of techniques. Here's one I haven't totally mastered: the "finish that second sock/glove/mitten" technique.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes, I have knit socks. Circumference: 9" and length 9.5".
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
I'm so excited to be part of Secret Pal 7!!